Professional Certificate in Music
This Professional Certificate in Music is specifically designed for students who wish to pursue professional training studies in the fine art of vocal performance. The aim is to develop a broad range of skills across performance, composition and education. Students study universal music genres as well as modules that include songwriting, producing, vocal technique, teaching, and the essential business skills to succeed in music. This versatile programme ensures that students can make a living through music as vocalists either by performing, creating, teaching or even a combination of these.
The purpose of this programme is to provide high quality level training in vocal performance, music studies, composition, arrangement, African music and music education. This ensures that strong professional insight and personal enrichment is achieved within each graduate. The prescribed curriculum is set to the standards of the South African and international industries, and is combined with complimentary skills that graduates can use to enhance their employment prospects towards a future in music.
Students graduating from this programme acquire an understanding of music in a variety of contexts.
- As performers; the voice is developed as an instrument of expression through various vocal techniques, performance principles and the stylistic features of cross cultural music genres
- As music creators and producers; the skills to conceptualise and create musical performances are developed through the use of effective presentation skills, techniques and technologies that exhibit an understanding of effective and expressive principles
- As music educators; the ability to apply vocal pedagogical content and knowledge
Through these obtained skills, graduates will emerge as critical thinkers and multifaceted 21st century artists with an ability to make a positive impact in various music related industries and their communities.
Listed below are the core subjects and modules within the set curriculum. Students are assessed twice within each academic year.
- A successful performance in an audition
- A completed Audition Application Form
The curriculum for the programme extends over three years of full time study.
The minimum age limit upon entry is 17. No maximum age limit is set.