Professional Certificate in Dance
The Professional Certificate in Dance is specifically designed and intended for students who wish to pursue professional dance training studies in performance, composition and dance education. The curriculum follows an intensive schedule covering various modules and complimentary skills classes that enable students to become dance artists with resumes that demonstrate versatility and adaptability.
The purpose of this programme is to provide high quality level training in dance performance, dance studies, choreography, production design, entrepreneurship and dance education. This ensures that a strong professional insight and personal enrichment is achieved within each graduate. The prescribed curriculum is set to the standards of the South African and international dance industries, and is combined with complimentary skills that graduates can use to enhance their employment prospects towards a future in dance.
Students graduating from this programme acquire an understanding of dance in a variety of contexts.
- As performers; the body is developed as an instrument of expression through various techniques, performance principles and the stylistic features of cross cultural dance genres
- As dance creators and choreographers; the skills to conceptualise and create dance performances that are developed through the use of effective presentation skills, techniques and technologies that exhibit an understanding of dramatic and expressive principles
- As dance educators; the ability to apply pedagogical content and knowledge is acquired and implemented to the planning, teaching and assessment of dance education.
Through these obtained skills, graduates will emerge as critical thinkers and multifaceted 21st century artists with an ability to make a positive impact in various dance related industries and their communities.
Listed below are the core subjects and modules within the set curriculum. Students are assessed twice within each academic year.
- A successful performance in an audition
- A completed Audition Application Form
The curriculum for the programme extends over three years of full time study.
The minimum age limit upon entry is 17. No maximum age limit is set. No maximum age limit is set, however preference is given to students in the most formative stages of their dance careers.